The last tenant farmer at Lawson Park was Eric Taylforth .
The Taylforths were a large local family many of whom still live in the local area, and Eric and his family farmed here until the early 1950’s.
His brothers – Ted Taylforth and Jack Taylforth, both worked on the farm: Ted can remember ploughing the steeply sloped fields from the meadow at Lawson Park down to the edge of Coniston Water (now the Machell’s Coppice carpark). Fields such as these were all still ploughed by hand at this time, and then were planted mainly with potatoes. Wheat and hay were planted in the two upper fields and Ted remembers the old field system, of which the remnants can still be seen in tumble-down walls and hedgerow trees. It was around this time that the Forestry Commission first began commercial tree planting in this area of Grizedale Forest, significantly altering the landscape towards what we see today.
The Taylforth family maintained a relatively self-sufficient lifestyle, with a vegetable plot next to the house and a small number of pigs, alongside the traditional mixed arable and sheep farming which had existed on this site now for over seven centuries.